[psas-software] First boot of the PowerPC flight computer

Andrew Greenberg andrew at uad.com
Thu Oct 6 16:47:01 PDT 2005

I couldn't wait until next week to boot the new PPC FC because I have to
write a, er, "note" to the MEN folks about the state of the development kit
we received. So I booted it. Fun! Here's the output:

Test IWDOG: OK
Test LM81: OK
Test EWDOG: OKp
PCI PnP...done
  ___________________ Secondary MENMON for MEN PP01    2.0 ___ ________________
|          (c) 2004 - 2005 MEN mikro elektronik GmbH Nuernberg                |
|                            MENMON "Hurricane"                               |
|                  Created  Jun 23 2005     17:09:42                          |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|
|    HW Revision: 02.04.01            |            CPU: MPC5200               |
|  Serial Number: 505                 | Core/Mem Clock: 384  /  64.0 MHz      |
|    Board Model: 5                   |  XLB/IPB Clock:  64  /  64.0 MHz      |
|          SDRAM: 128 MB              |      PCI Clock:         32.0 MHz      |
|           FRAM:  64 kB              |      PCI  Slot: 0 (  SYSTEM  )        |
|          FLASH:  16 MB              |          RESET: WATCHDOG              |
  \___________________________________________________________________________/
Setting speed of NETIF 0 to AUTO

press 'ESC' for MENMON, 's' for setup
Test IWDOG                    : OK
Test LM81                     : OK
Test EWDOG                    : OK
Test SDRAM                    : OK
Test EEPROM                   : OK
Test RTC                      : OK
Test PMM                      : OK
Test SMM                      : OK

NOW AUTOEXECUTING: nboot tftp
Setup network interface CLUN 0x02, 00:c0:3a:20:01:f9 AUTO

*** Error Loading /disc/VXWORKS/P/PP01/vxW_STD.st: TFTP: some sort of
network er
ror
[ MMSMAC_StateMenmonCli ]
  Telnet daemon started on port 23
  HTTP daemon started on port 80
MenMon>

Interesting, huh? According to the BIOS, on boot it tries to boot VxWorks
via TFTP, which is amusing... you can see it fail above. So, apparently
someone has been playing with the board before us (which we already new
based on the "PROTOTYP" sticker, I suppose).

They turned on the watchdog timer for us, which is nice, since it tends to
reboot the system every 10 seconds or so, and I haven't figured out how to
turn it off yet :)

Anyway, one small step for PPC kind.

Andrew

    Andrew Greenberg - andrew at uad.com - 503.788.1343