[psas-comm] ATV and WiFi on 2.4 GHz ham band

Glenn LeBrasseur glennl at dsl-only.net
Sat Feb 25 17:40:39 PST 2006

Ed, Jamey, et.al.:

FYI-
At the last ATV meeting we were discussing the coexistance of ATV and
WiFi on the 2.4 GHz ham band. Particularly since the City of Portland
wants to spray 801.11 all across the city.

I indicated that according to the PSAS rocket groups experience
(although probably my own misunderstanding), only WiFi channel #1 was
fully inside the ham bands. For this reason the rocket group forced all
WiFi setup that was using high power onto channel 1. There was
disagreement that only channel #1 was in the ham band. Ed and others
said over half of the WiFi frequencies are in the ham band. I brough in
a listing of the WiFi channels and frequencies. Here's what I gave to
Ed; <http://www.qsl.net/n9zia/dsss-channels.html>. It says channel 1
goes from 2401 to 2423. When you look at the ARRL band plan, and at
Title47-Part97.301
<http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bandplan.html> it appears
Ed is right; The 2.4 GHz band goes from 2300 to 2450. WiFi channels 1
through 6 will smear across the upper part of the 2.4 GHz band. Also it
seems to be recomended by the ARRL that channels 2 through 5 be used on
the ham bands by amateurs in order fit the band plan best, and that
channel 5 be the primary ARRL-802.11 network frequency.
<http://www.arrl.org/hsmm/project.html> Finally the ARRL recomends in
it's band plan 2438 to 2450 as SS-experimental.

Another fact of interest; The LV2 WiFi CPA antenna was _designed_ and
tested to be centered on 2422, even though preliminary discussion
identified 2412 as the center. 2422 is the center of WiFi channel 3!

Glenn.

--
Glenn LeBrasseur
glennl at twaves.org