[psas-comm] ATV and WiFi on 2.4 GHz ham band

Glenn LeBrasseur glennl at dsl-only.net
Mon Feb 27 00:48:17 PST 2006

Andrew, and all:

<yikes!> Sorry about the crummy spelling!

> Cisco has some very nice information here:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00802846a2.html

Thanks for the link. It looks channels 1, 6, and 11, are the best channel
choices for the maximum number of coexisting networks.

>> Also it seems to be recommended by the ARRL that channels 2 through
>> 5 be used on the ham bands by amateurs in order fit the band plan
>> best, and that channel 5 be the primary ARRL-802.11 network
>> frequency.
>
> Huh. Ok, so we should consider switching to Ch 5... although for our
> sporadic use, I think it doesn't matter a whole lot.

I agree it does not matter. In fact I imagine when we are operating in the
field, we should use channel 5 as the local network for general use (like
sending SMTP email to the Winlink mail server), and stick to 3 (or 1?) as the
rocket telemetry channel.

>> <http://www.arrl.org/hsmm/project.html> Finally the ARRL recommends
>> in it's band plan 2438 to 2450 as SS-experimental.
>
> ... which means?

Well I guess that WiFi could be considered an experimental SS (spread
spectrum)
mode in the eyes of the FCC. So in terms of fitting into a desired
band-planned
region of the spectrum, we have put giraffes where the giraffes should be. :)

Glenn.

--
Glenn LeBrasseur
glennl at twaves.org