[psas-avionics] Digital filters

I kirkpad at pdx.edu
Mon Nov 2 23:46:09 PST 2009

Thanks for the replies. I thought I would touch on all of them in one
email to keep the reading shorter.

It was suggested off the list that I consider a decimation filter to
downsample the sample rate. This sounds reasonable, but I implemented
the iir filter at a 100 Hz sample rate and still saw a significant
offset (500 lsb), with many of the same fixed point scaling problems
(resolution less than 16 bits). I would guess that I could get close
by cutting the sample rate to 10 Hz. I think that leads me to
pre-warping the coefficients since 2*PI is not << 10Hz, but that's
just math.

I 'think' the decimation filter needs to remove content above 5 Hz
(nyquist), then cut the samples to 10 Hz. Wouldn't that be about a 1Hz
filter anyway?

I think the FIR structure has the most promise, but I have no
experience with those, especially on a fixed point machine.

Quoting rq17zt at q7.com:

> I don't know much about this sort of thing.

But likely more than I know ;)

> I'm guessing that a different implementation could have better numeric
> stability properties.
>
> Your key-phrase seems to be, "Series of first order difference
> equations." Is that different than MAC-ing a polynomial equation?

That is exactly MAC-ing a polynomial equation:
y  = b1 * x + z1;
z1 = b2 * x + z2 - a2 * y;
z2 = b3 * x + 0  - a3 * y;

> I've done similar type things with the latter without trouble, but never
> as low as 1 Hz.

So have I, but the goal was usually a much higher cutoff frequency,
and some DC offset and minor loss of resolution was not a problem.
Here, the offset is a major issue.

Quoting Barton C Massey <bart at cs.pdx.edu>:

> Caveat: I have no idea what I'm talking about.  Act
> accordingly.

I have no idea how to interpret this response :) This could be
sarcasm, and you *do* know what you are talking about, but I simply
don't understand. This could be truth, and I should go another route.

> You can't do a 1Hz cutoff against a 1000Hz sampling rate
> with any sane single-stage design, AFAIK.

I'm not sure what you mean by a single stage... I think of a stage as
a memory element when using an IIR filter, in which case I think I'm
using 3 stages.

> The usual plan
> would be to downsample the signal in a series of stages;
> maybe 5 downsample-by-four stages, which would get you to
> about 1Hz very nicely.

Again I'm not up to speed on your terminology, and my googling is not
clearing things up. I see some stuff on downsampling, but I've thought
of this in the context of throwing out data, not combining it. Perhaps
more akin to down-conversion.

> (It also tells you that as a rule of thumb you'd
> need about a 10-pole Butterworth to do this directly; ...

Did you mean 10 *tap* Butterworth? I was originally only trying to get
2 poles, so 10 poles would be overkill?!?!

> still wouldn't recommend it, though, as the numerical
> instability problems will be very real with such high-order
> polynomials.)

This is the problem I have now.

I'll have to show off (Tuesday) an integrating device I'm running now.
It has zero offset, and filter-like response.