[psas-avionics] IMU parts

I kirkpad at pdx.edu
Mon Sep 7 00:30:58 PDT 2009

Andrew and Tim,
I'm working up a schematic for an IMU and I have a couple of questions
you might be able to answer...

First, Analog devices finally came out with a 3 axis accelerometer
with decent range (8/2009). The ADXL326 has 3 axis +-16 g's. Noise
spec is comparable but a bit lower than previous offerings. Basically,
was there any reason not to use the 321's (or this new part)? I'm just
wondering if anything stands out in your minds from other
accelerometer work you've done.

Second, I'm looking at the ADS1278 24 bit ADC, and I'm a bit spooked
by the clock requirements. It needs a high speed clock that is as fast
as, or a power of 2 faster than, the spi clock. I haven't seen a good
"clock out" from the LPC2378 that would be selectable (in speed).
Before I place a CPLD, had either of you considered this when
exploring the other ADS variants with capstone students? The demo
board has some weird D-latches on the SPI outputs as well... Yuk!

With the AD part and the new z axis IDG parts (they finally put a temp
sensor on, as well), I can get it done on one board with no orthogonal
daughter boards. I'm thinking this will be easier than the ones I've
done in the past...

Thoughts?