[psas-avionics] Smoke generators...

Dave Camarillo dave.camarillo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 23:13:03 PDT 2010

I suspect that if a glo-plug technique were used, there's some maximum
volume of fluid you could spray over the glow plug, after which the fluid
would simply cool the glo plug instead of burning the fluid. I suspect this
would boil down to an energy conversion problem based watts into the plug
and energy required to combust the fluid... But it would have a calculatable
upper bound (and the existence of the upper bound would key to know and
sufficiently avoid in such a design)...

One idea I was pondering, not sure if it's a good idea, perhaps using some
kind of fine white dust or powder, perhaps powder from drywall filler or
baking flour and a mechanical worm-drive feed mechanism to drive the
material out at a specific volume per second... The ultrasonic atomizer
would probably work for this too... I'm not sure how well this would work,
but there's no hot-things involved....

My gut feeling says that if an thermo/electronic approach was chosen,
perhaps with glo plug(s) or nichorme wire or other elements, sufficient
safety could be put in place to avoid fire on the ground. One can design
some simple circuitry that will get you 99.9+ percent reliability, and if
you really cared, you could assume worst case scenario, and know the max
thermal output of the glo plug and design the frame such that it can
dissipate the heat fast enough to keep surface temperature down below X
threshold, where X is consider a safe threshold for not starting fires...