[PSAS] PSAS server problems fixed

James Perkins james at loowit.net
Wed Aug 25 15:52:34 PDT 2004

Seems that there was an evil IP address in a Mexican address block
requesting a web page through twiki every second or so, which was
keeping the load average up around 9 and causing occasional denial of
service. The worst offense was that it was crawling through the site and
doing every possible rdiff of every twiki page. To arrest the offender,
I've denied Web Server access from that IP address. If anyone's
listening who knows who is doing this, and feels they were operating in
good will, please tell them we'd be happy to give them an rsync of the
entire PSAS web anytime they want (even once/day!) and to stop trying to
crawl every generatable page on the server.

Cheers,
James

--
James Perkins         james at loowit.net         http://loowit.net/~james